single mum of 3 beautiful children....... I have new hopes, aspirations and dreams, 1st to get debt free, pay off my mortgage, get healthy, buy a new car (accomplished), do some much needed home improvements- phewwww - deep breath.. and spend more time with my children. In July 2011 I took redundancy due to restructuring at work, and from 31st August 2011 I was no longer a teacher.

I have used this opportunity to set up my own home based childcare business which will mean a very big pay cut, but at the same time will give me the opportunity to raise my own children, and home educate my youngest. So I am going to have to realise my dreams with a little inginuity and and a new frugal lifestyle, so this is my journey......

Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Subscription Free TV...

I was so happy to be selected by Mumsnet Bloggers, and Freesat to review a brand new Freesat+ box with free time. Even before I was offered the opportunity to review this product I had settled on buying it, so you can guess how ecstatic I was when offered the opportunity to receive a brand new box to review it.

I have a strict entertainment budget each month, and I signed up to a monthly TV subscription plan as it was cheaper than constantly renting movies or going to the cinema, it kept costs down, while still satisfying my movie obsessed clan, but those costs are steadily rising all the time, and the subscription TV package I have now is frankly not worth it.

For a while now I have been researching subscription free TV viewing, as it ties in with my frugal lifestyle.  Plus then I am not a slave to a monthly bill. It retails at £229, which did put me off at first, however further research into it's features and what I was getting, justified the expense to me.

I have had a free-view box with basic channels before, and I can survive on this, in fact we have been TV free in the past, but I wanted a little more to keep the whole family happy so I signed up to subscription package. It is good TV but at a price, and not a cost I am willing to pay anymore, mainly because of the monthly subscription and tie in, the ever increasing costs, this is the third time in a year they have put up their charges. Then there is the a mass of channels that I do not need, not to mention Children's TV overload.

I have honestly felt bogged down with my current subscription TV package and it's never ending price increases, then telling me they have an offer for me for cheaper TV, yes right, you have just hiked your prices and the offer has just brought the price back down to what it was before, so no saving for me.

I wanted to be able to still record, rewind and also access a good range of channels, which include some movies for all of us, music for Big Bit, and Children's TV for Lil Lady and Mini Man, plus some educational TV.

The Freesat+ box gives me all those features and channels as well as being able to watch iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD, and Demand5 straight from the TV. Plus there is a roll back TV guide which allows you to watch programmes you have missed over the last 7 days, over 21 channels.

This is an advantage for me, I often watch TV as I am browsing the Internet, ironing, blogging or uploading pictures, I need to multi task to get things done, so watching catch up TV on my laptop is a big no no.

I always miss my programs too, so having a series record, or being able to catch up on the last 21 days of programme viewing, and still being able to pause real time TV is important especially when I hear the call that every mother dreads from a young child "Muuuuuuum can you come and wipe my bum please?" just as your in the middle of the juiciest bit of a program.

Installation was a doddle, the lovely David came to install it, but seeing that I already had a Sky dish and hook up, there was not much to be done as it hooks up to the existing connections, it took a few minutes to tune in, and that was it. In fact if you already have a satellite dish it will be a doddle to set up.

It is a nice sleek box, I also love the fact  that it is all black, as it fits in well with everything else electronic that I have.

The remote is a simple design, it has to be with me, I use a few buttons on my remote, one that takes me to the main menu, which is the home button, and one to select, that is all I need, the children work the other functions ha ha, I feel I have turned into my mother over the years. The real test is if Lil lady can work it, and she can.


The home screen is really easy to navigate, another must for me, I get confused easily


And it is very easy to access the other features from the home screen.


I have already set my series record for Downton and  The Great British Bake Off , and now the start of the new episodes of Paradise :)

Humax are offering via my blog an exclusive discount code to purchase a 500GB Humax Freesat+ box http://humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10108 for £199, a saving of £30. Just enter the code: FT30 when ordering.

In all honesty if you are looking for a subscription free TV package, which means no bills every month, and you want that bit more than just free view then I highly recommend  Freesat+.

2 comments:

  1. Hey sorry was just wondering does the package cost more if you don't have a dish already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, info can be found here http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/freesat-plus-with-freetime/236552
      sharon x

      Delete

I am sorry but due to the amount of spam messages I no longer accept Anonymous comments. I do appreciate you stopping by, reading my ramblings and saying hello. Sharon x